Subject: Re: Confirmation Required
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:44:06 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <200005051544 .
 LAA09915 @
 tonnant .
 cnchost .
 com>,
<blaise @
 scadian .
 net> wrote:

>On 5 May 00, at 8:51, murr rhame wrote:
>
>> I will not allow anyone to use my mailing lists as a vengeance
>> weapon.  In my humble opinion, running a mailing list with open
>> subscriptions and no confirmations is inexcusable.  This is not a
>> new problem.  I'm quite surprised that a veteran list admin
>> hasn't taken measures to prevent malicious subscriptions.
>
>I agree; however, I would like to see one intermediate level added
>(beyond open, auto, closed).  What I'd like is open+confirm/auto --
>in other words, I'd like users to be able to subzcribe *themselves*
>without confirmation but only subzcribe *others* with confirmation.

Apparently, you don't understand the issue.

How do you know if someone really is who they claim to be?

That's the issue.

Like they say, ``On the Internet nobody know you're a dog.''

On the Internet, nobody knows that *I* am *not* <president @
 whitehouse .
 gov>.

Someone _claiming_ to be me signed me up half a dozen Apple mailing
lists recently.

Apple believed that claim, blindly, and without any supporting evidence,
even though it was clearly wrong.