Subject: Re: Confirmation Required
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:12:20 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 08:07 AM 5/5/00, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
>confirmation, even easy methods, are confusing to most new netters

It's patronizing to assume they can't learn. If no one ever tried to
educate them, they'd still be putting stamps on paper letters. The
trouble explaining WHY confirmations are a good idea is worth it.

>It's a web world -- people expect to click once and get what they're
>looking for, not a body cavity search.

Searching for analogies, I realized that I can go put someone else's
name on those sweepstakes forms at the supermarket. Then THEY get the
junk mail, and there's no way to trace it back to me. VERY SIMILAR.

Except in the hardcopy junk mail world, there is recourse. In the
electronic junk mail world, you can't make it stop once it starts...
and it's easier to contact the 'victim' before it starts. If you care.

SRE

mailto:eckert @
 climber .
 org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info @
 climber .
 org

Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise
enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.
        - Edward Abbey