Subject: Re: Confirmation Required
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 22:42:48 -0700
To: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:12 PM -0400 5/5/2000, Bernie Cosell wrote:

You, I guess, have to administer lists for which membership is required,
either because they're paying you to let them on your list or there's
some political reason that they can't be excluded or something like that.

Even simpler: I run lists for people where we need them more than they need us. Maybe you can say "do it my way or get lost", but I can't.

OTOH, I'm hard pressed to think of a single mailing list among all that
I've been involved with over the years for which a suitable answer to
your rhetorical question wouldn't be "try once, then to hell with them".

Marketing lists. Stop thinking that all mailing lists are discussion lists.

Why do you act like admitting single subscribers to a list is some sort
of entitlement you have to bend over backwards to honor?  Is there
something special about the lists you administer?

Yes. They help us sell computers to our customers and keep our customers informed on what's going on with my company. There's a huge difference between "if you don't do it my way, you can't talk about Quake" and "If you don't like it my way, go buy a Compaq".

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
plaidworks .

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"