Subject: Re: Confirmation Required
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:07:33 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 5 May 2000, at 22:20, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> At 9:12 PM -0700 5/5/2000, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
>
> >And in addition, it's more like "If you can't change a tire, you don't get
> >a license."
>
> Some of us prefer to build tires that are easier to change. Or won't go flat.

This is disingenuous.  The 'easy tires' existed for a long time and were
the first approach used [confirmations are relatively new] and were
*replaced* by what almost everyone agrees are 'better' tires...  *YOU'RE*
the one trying to turn the clock back to the good-old-days when folk
could almost trust what came in via email and pretending that the
realities that gave rise to most all lists requiring a confirmation-to-
subscribe aren't there [or won't affect YOUR users or YOUR lists].

> And I really don't understand why some people on this list are so
> afraid of building tires that are easier to change. If folks didn't
> work to make things easier, we'd still be doing all of this on Vaxen,
> using gopher, and the internet would have 40 people on it.

Feh.  The problem is that you're not building a tire that's easier to
change, you're building one that is *broken*.

A better analogy, IMO, than your 'tire' would be to contemplate building
a mail client that automatically 'opens' attachments --- I'm sure those
'customers' of yours, if they can't figure out how to click on a confirm
link, will be utterly baffled by "Attachment yourmom.jpg saved ...." [I
know that our customers are --- we get tech support calls about this ALL
the time]. Maybe if you just had your mail client auto-open the
attachment it'd make life so EASY for them and they woudln't be tempted
to sign on with a competitor who might have an easier-to-use mail
client... good idea huh?

> And unlike some of you, I can't simply tell my customers and clients
> "do it my way or go somewhere else" -- because they will.

You're in a messy situation... as I said in my previous note, you're
stuck with a political/business problem and so life is hard...  I'm still
not convinced that your "indulge their cluelessness" approach is the
right/best path, but hey, you're playing the game with your own money.
Guess it's just too bad that third-parties might have to end up paying a
price [because of spoofing/hacking] for the way you've chosen to cosset
your users...

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .