Subject: Re: Meta-list
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:50:33 -0700
To: twentz @ mc . net, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:42 PM -0600 5/15/2000, twentz @
mc .
net wrote:
Rich,

I'm curious why you're classing meta-list with remarq. Meta-list looks like an innocuous competitor to liszt.com to me. Yes, it has s*bscribe/uns*bscribe links on each page but those are simple mailto convenience links for your personal mail software. There's no archiving or mail redirection.

yeah, I just went and checked it out, and it looks amazingly innocuous. About on the level of my www.lists.plaidworks.com directory. My lists are there, none of my dead lists are there, the info is correct, and the only links are links to standard interfaces on my site.

I sure don't see any problems here, other than I don't remember them asking me if I wanted to be listed. But since they're only listing publically accessible lists that are available with my "lists" command on a publically accessible majordomo, I sure don't see that as something to quibble with.

My only real question is why they're doing it. Heck, there aren't even click ads on the pages. Basically, it looks like a group of folks from Germany are doing it for good will and some really, really low key publicity for their company.

Seems to me that kind of thing ought to be encouraged, not discouraged.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
plaidworks .

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"