Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2001)

Subject: Re: preventing majordomo to respond to messages from outside the the domain.
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 12:51:06 -0500 (EST)
To: "Bos, P.G.J. - SPLXM" <Pieter . Bos @ klm . nl>
Cc: "'list-managers @ greatcircle . com'" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

> Our ms-exchange server has a forwarding address Majordomo @
 KLM .
 nl -->
> majordomo @
 listmachine .
 klm .
 nl
> This is done for the convenience of our internal users.
> An unwanted side effect is that requests sent to majordomo @
 klm .
 nl from the
> internet are processed in a simmilar manner as the requests from our
> intranet.

> According to our Exchange people there is no solution in Exchange available
> for this problem.

He's probably right, you pay all that money and it still doesn't do what
you want.

Fortunately, if your Majordomo list runs on a Unix or Linux machine, you
can easily solve your problem with the popular freeware procmail package.
(Most Linux and BSD systems already have it installed.)  Procmail can
easily check the From: line to see if the address matches @.*.klm.nl
(i.e., it's a KLM address) and if so pass it to Majordomo, otherwise use
formail, another part of the procmail package, to send back a fixed
response.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47