Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2001)

Subject: Re: preventing majordomo to respond to messages from outside the the domain.
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:50:31 -0500 (EST)
To: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: "'list-managers @ greatcircle . com'" <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

> > Procmail can
> > easily check the From: line to see if the address matches @.*.klm.nl
> > (i.e., it's a KLM address) and if so pass it to Majordomo, otherwise use
> > formail, another part of the procmail package, to send back a fixed
> > response.
>
> This is probably OK, but I'd probably use the last [most recent] received-
> by line. I find 'From' lines are a bit too variable and by and large I
> try to avoid using them for anything.

In this particular case, the From: line is the only one that makes sense
to test.  You don't care where the mail was injected into SMTP, you care
whether it's a KLM address or some other organization, and the sender's
domain tells you that.

Majordomo responds to the address on the From: line, after all.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47