Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2001)

Subject: Re: problems @home.com ?/Yahoo ?
From: Sharon Tucci <sharon @ listhost . net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:07:51 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>Connection refused by mx-b-east.mail.home.com
>Operation timed out with mx-d-rwc.mail.home.com
>Null connection from mx2-sfba.mail.home.com
>
>... and traceroutes to the last two hosts *do* fail. First one succeeds.

Have you tried nslookups on their mx records? I've
seen a few cases where traceroutes didn't resolve,
but nslookups specifically on the mx records did.

I'm not a techie, so I am clueless as to the how's
and why's of it. I *have* noticed that we're having
more problems with @home deliveries for non-personalized
email than for personalized.

We're seeing an inordinate number of messages going to
@home users bouncing for insufficient storage
space and also know that a good amount of outgoing
email from @home users is dropping. We have one staff
member who uses @home who we had to set up with smtp
access on our of our admin server because she was
dropping a heck of a lot of email.

What is more of a problem (and has been for about
2 months now) for us has been mail going to Yahoo.
Yahoo seems to be opening the smtp connection and
just hanging. I noticed in the log that it seems
to be after the 20th or so email address on their
system for the same mailing, the connection just
dies.

On two different servers last week, we had so many
messages in queue for Yahoo, it was just dragging
the servers down everytime redelivery was attempted.
This went on for about 12 hours.. Yahoo didn't seem
to be down because for each consecutive attempt,
more messages did seem to go through. It just took
a long time for it to all get cleared out.

If anyone can give any words of wisdom in what to
do in situations like this, it would be appreciated.
<grin> after the last Yahoo episode, I feel like
sending THEM a bill.

Sharon Tucci