Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Re: removeyou.com
From: David Shaw <dshaw @ jabberwocky . com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 09:59:24 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 12:32:01PM +0000, Kirk D Bailey wrote:
> If it is offered as a list of people who REFUSE o purchaqse in
> response to spam, yea they would, such persons are a total waste of
> time. Why bother emailing them at all?

Because it takes some amount of effort for the spammers to clean up
their list.  Why should they bother?

If they are spammers who sell CDs of people's addresses or offer to
spam for others, each address they remove means one less address they
can sell.  There is a direct disincentive to clean their list.  The
fact that the address is spam-hostile, or even may exist at all is
completely insignificant.

If they are spammers who spam directly, they usually do it via abusing
an open relay, and with a forged From_ address.  Why should they even
spend a second to clean their list?  They'll never see any bounces
from the bogus addresses, and they already know they are going to lose
their disposable account for spamming.  It's easier to spam 10,000
addresses and not care that 1,000 are going to complain and another
1,000 are bad addresses than it is to clean the list and spam the
7,998 who just-hit-delete.

Granted, there are other spammers, with other methods of spamming than
these two examples, but these are two of the larger groups.

The address "perspers @
 jabberwocky .
 com" was invented as a spam trap and
used to post to Usenet around 4 years ago.  After a few months, it was
delted.  So it has not existed for years, and it STILL gets spammed
every single day.  If spammers aren't even going to stop spamming
addresses that return a No-Such-User, there is no hope for a remove
list.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw @