Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Re: removeyou.com
From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 13 Oct 2001 10:23:43 -0400
To: "Kirk D Bailey" <highprimate @ howlermonkey . net>
Cc: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

> If it is offered as a list of people who REFUSE o purchaqse in
> response to spam, yea they would, such persons are a total waste of
> time. Why bother emailing them at all?

Because most spammers aren't really trying to sell what the spam purports
to sell, they're selling alleged advertising services to suckers.  The
goal is to say "we sent 10 million copies of your ad", and they don't want
to know where all the spam went.

I get large amounts of spam to addresses that were never valid, and were
either message-IDs scraped from old usenet messages, or mangled addresses
scraped by web pages by broken scrapeware.  They really don't care who
they're mailing to.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47