Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:04:38 -0700
To: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

In message <Pine .
 BSI .
 4 .
 40 .
 0110202053100 .
 21701-100000 @
 tom .
 iecc .
 com>,
"John R Levine" <johnl @
 iecc .
 com> wrote:

>> > For purposes unrelated to mailing list administration, I have
>> > developed a C language program whose purpose is to automatically
>> > differentiate automated response e-mail messages (e.g. bounce
>> > messages) from other types of e-mail messages.
>>
>> Bounces have the unique quality of have a null return envelope.
>> Filter on that and you'll have no problem.  (
>
>In theory, you are entirely correct.  In practice, the variety of broken
>bounces staggers the imagination, and you need to catch all sorts of
>garbage and do complex pattern matches to try and figure out what
>happened.

I would agree with what John has said, except that I would remove the
word `complex'.

Nothing I'm doing in my automatic response recognizer/differentiator is
particularly complex.  I'm not even using regular expressions.  Just
plain old verbatim text matching against the Subject: line and the first
several lines of body text.

The only complex part is the painstaking work of analyzing hundreds of
thousands of bounce and non-bounces mail messages and coming up with
the list of `stigmata' strings (that are distinctively found only in
bounce and autoresponse messages) to search for.