Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:37:32 -0700
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 06:58 PM 10/20/2001 -0700, you wrote:
Are you running mailing lists (from your site) on bahalf of other parties
and are you then auto-forwarding any bounce messages that come back, to
your site (for any of the mailings sent for those mailing lists) to the
respective ``list owners'' at other sites?

In *some* cases, yes.

P.S.  Yes, a few Really Dumb sites (e.g. myrealbox.com) have elected
to reject _all_ incoming mail that carries a null envelope sender address.
They do this as a hopelessly misguided attempt at spam control, when what
they should clearly be doing instead is using some program like the one
I mentioned here (at the start of this thread) which could rid them of
the spam flotsam while still allowing legitimate non-deliverable bounce
messages (and legitimate autoresponder response messages) through.

I have no control over what filtering methods my list-owners' home sites use. I have some control over whether I send them messages that will reach them.