Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:10:17 -0700
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:42:51 -0700
Ronald F Guilmette <rfg @
 monkeys .
 com> wrote:
> In message <11133 .
 1003622792 @
 kanga .
 nu>, J C Lawrence
> <claw @
 kanga .
 nu> wrote:

> If you try to differentiate mail message into two piles, just
> based on whtehre the envelope sender was null or not, then in one
> pile... the null envelope sender pile... you will have a lot of
> bounce messages, but also a fair amount of spam, and also quite a
> few auto-responses from badly implemented autoresponders.  In the
> other pile... the non-null envelope sender pile... you will have a
> lot of normal messages PLUS a lot of non-deliverable bounces PLUS
> a lot of autoresponses.

Odd that.  I do filter in precisely that way and while yes, I do
catch a fair bit of spam, my non-spam false positive rate is pretty
close to zero (somewhere near 0.0001%).

> Life, in practice, just isn't as simple as we would wish it to be.

Too true.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @

From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Next: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: David Shaw <dshaw @ jabberwocky . com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Automated bounce recognition