Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Yahoo
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch @ ccmr . cornell . edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:12:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: Allan Newsome <allan @ msic . dia . mil>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> (reason: 552 exceeded rcpt to max limit)
>      (expanded from: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/wbmutbb-digest)
>
> I've tried making the Digest versions smaller in size but that doesn't seem to have corrected the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

A "rcpt to max limit" would be the number of recipients you're
sending to at that site.  Sendmail sends one copy of the message to
each destination MTA with all recipients listed in the envelope
headers (rcpt to:).  The receiving sendmail will then deliver a
separate copy to each recipient.  Sounds like yahoo don't understand
the difference between mail lists and spammers.

You have a few options:

- you could try fiddling with your sendmail to put fewer recipients per
  message.  I think there's a cf parameter for this but it's been too
  long since I looked.  I could be wrong.

- you could try hollering at yahoo that they are stupid.

- you could tell your yahoo zubscribers to find a real ISP.

-Mitch