Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Yahoo
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:30:49 -0700
To: <allan @ msic . dia . mil>, <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 10/22/01 11:33 AM, "Allan Newsome" <allan @
 msic .
 dia .
 mil> wrote:

> (reason: 552 exceeded rcpt to max limit)
>    (expanded from: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/wbmutbb-digest)
>
> I've tried making the Digest versions smaller in size but that doesn't seem to
> have corrected the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

It's not a message size limit, but a number-of-users-in-one-batch limit.
You're trying to send to too many users at one time, and tripping one of
their anti-spam filters.

The RFC says you have to accept 100 addresses in a batch. Many sites are now
taking that to mean if you try to send them 101 or 102, they'll reject you.

Answer: don't put more than  100 users to any one domain in any single
delivery batch.

Problem: you're using sendmail, and majordomo. It doesn't break up batches
for you by default. You need to move to a more modern MLM, or use something
like bulk_mailer, that can break stuff up for you.

IMNSO opinion, I wouldn't run majordomo today. It simply isn't terribly
compatible with how e-mail has evolved. I don't know if majordomo II was
ever released, but majordomo is really long in the tooth, and this is just
one of the places where it runs into today's e-mail reality and takes it in
the teeth.