Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Yahoo
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey @ goldmark . org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:56:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Allan Newsome wrote:

> I'm seeing the following all over the place from Yahoo.com users....
>
> (reason: 552 exceeded rcpt to max limit)
>      (expanded from: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/wbmutbb-digest)

According to RFC (2)821 an SMTP server should accept mail with upto 100
recipients.  But spam fighting efforts lead some hosts to set a lower
limit.  I don't know what Yahoo's is.

> I've tried making the Digest versions smaller in size but that doesn't
> seem to have corrected the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

That won't do it.  What you need to do is make sure that mail to yahoo is
delivered in batches smaller than N, where N is their cut-off.

I don't know how to get sendmail to do that, but with exim, I would set up
a specific router for mail going to yahoo, and in that router set

  max_rcpt = 15

(where  15 is a wild guess at what might go through).

But assuming you are using sendmail, you will need someone else to help.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/

                    Freedom is not free!