Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Yahoo
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:43:58 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <Pine .
 LNX .
 4 .
 10 .
 10110221604380 .
 2030-100000 @
 ruby .
 ccmr .
 cornell .
 edu>,
 Mitch Collinsworth <mitch @
 ccmr .
 cornell .
 edu> wrote:

>> (reason: 552 exceeded rcpt to max limit)
>>      (expanded from: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/wbmutbb-digest)
>>
>> I've tried making the Digest versions smaller in size but that doesn't seem
>to have corrected the problem. Anybody have any ideas?
>
>A "rcpt to max limit" would be the number of recipients you're
>sending to at that site.  Sendmail sends one copy of the message to
>each destination MTA with all recipients listed in the envelope
>headers (rcpt to:).  The receiving sendmail will then deliver a
>separate copy to each recipient.  Sounds like yahoo don't understand
>the difference between mail lists and spammers.

More to the point, it is not entirely clear that the folks at Yahoo
have either read or fully understood the following passage from RFC 2821:

   If an SMTP server has an implementation limit on the number of RCPT
   commands and this limit is exhausted, it MUST use a response code of
   452 (but the client SHOULD also be prepared for a 552, as noted
   above).  If the server has a configured site-policy limitation on the
   number of RCPT commands, it MAY instead use a 5XX response code.
   This would be most appropriate if the policy limitation was intended
   to apply if the total recipient count for a particular message body
   were enforced even if that message body was sent in multiple mail
   transactions.

(My own opinion is that most probably, they simply screwed up, and they
ought to be issuing 452 codes for excess RCPT TOs in a given transaction.)