Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Yahoo
From: blaise @ scadian . net
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:58:43 -0400
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 02:43:58PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <Pine .
 LNX .
 4 .
 10 .
 10110221604380 .
 2030-100000 @
 ruby .
 ccmr .
 cornell .
 edu>,
>  Mitch Collinsworth <mitch @
 ccmr .
 cornell .
 edu> wrote:

> >> (reason: 552 exceeded rcpt to max limit)
> >>      (expanded from: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/Lists/wbmutbb-digest)
> >>
> >> I've tried making the Digest versions smaller in size but that doesn't seem
> >to have corrected the problem. Anybody have any ideas?
> >
> >A "rcpt to max limit" would be the number of recipients you're
> >sending to at that site.  Sendmail sends one copy of the message to
> >each destination MTA with all recipients listed in the envelope
> >headers (rcpt to:).  The receiving sendmail will then deliver a
> >separate copy to each recipient.  Sounds like yahoo don't understand
> >the difference between mail lists and spammers.
>
> More to the point, it is not entirely clear that the folks at Yahoo
> have either read or fully understood the following passage from RFC 2821:
>
>    If an SMTP server has an implementation limit on the number of RCPT
>    commands and this limit is exhausted, it MUST use a response code of
>    452 (but the client SHOULD also be prepared for a 552, as noted
>    above).  If the server has a configured site-policy limitation on the
>    number of RCPT commands, it MAY instead use a 5XX response code.
>    This would be most appropriate if the policy limitation was intended
>    to apply if the total recipient count for a particular message body
>    were enforced even if that message body was sent in multiple mail
>    transactions.
>
> (My own opinion is that most probably, they simply screwed up, and they
> ought to be issuing 452 codes for excess RCPT TOs in a given transaction.)

My opinion is that they read the RFC precisely and you missed a spot.
This does not seem to be an implementation limit but a configured site-
policy limitation (as far as we can tell).

Jim
--
Jim Trigg                      /"\
SKA Blaise de Cormeilles       \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN