Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 25 Oct 2001 20:54:13 -0400
To: "Michael C.Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Cc: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

> > The "submissions" port, port 587, seems to be the right port for this -
>
> The problem with this is that if it becomes widely used and known, ISPs
> will probably block that port, too, without thinking about it too much
> (and not realizing that it is not really much of a spam threat).

Port 587 is only supposed to be open to authenticated users via
pop-before-send or SMTP AUTH or the like.  Just leaving it open is a
dreadful idea.  If you're going to set up an open relay, I agree that you
should hide it on a random port, but it'd be better not to do it at all.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47