Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: "Michael C.Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:08:57 -0700
To: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Thursday, October 25, 2001, at 05:56  PM, John R Levine wrote:
Now if only the popular (non-open-source) mail clients would let you
specify the outgoing SMTP destination port...

Outlook Express does on the mail setup menu under an Advanced button or
something like that, and I think Outlook does too.  Eudora does although
you have to edit the EUDORA.INI setup file yourself.  Netscape doesn't,
phoo, although I suppose the sufficiently dedicated could fix that at
mozilla.org.

Actually, I submitted that to the Mozilla Project a while ago. It got favourable comments in a couple of the internal newsgroups. It's sitting in Bugzilla somewhere; I don't know the current status. I do run developer builds of Mozilla as my web browser, but I switched from Netscape to Apple Mail for MacOS X (Mail.app) for my mail, and it does not support alternate SMTP destination ports. I'll send them the suggestion too.

As for Port 587 etc., my assumption that all servers that are expected to be reached from arbitrary networks would be/should be secured. While traveling I have had to perform the annoying task of finding out what (client, hotel, show, etc.) network I was connected to, then ssh to my server, add that subnet to the permitted file for relaying, and then send the mail. Not worth the trouble.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb @