Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 00:06:32 -0400
To: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>, "Michael C.Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Cc: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 08:54 PM 2001-10-25 -0400, John R Levine wrote:
> > The "submissions" port, port 587, seems to be the right port for this -
>
> The problem with this is that if it becomes widely used and known, ISPs
> will probably block that port, too, without thinking about it too much
> (and not realizing that it is not really much of a spam threat).

Port 587 is only supposed to be open to authenticated users via
pop-before-send or SMTP AUTH or the like.  Just leaving it open is a
dreadful idea.  If you're going to set up an open relay, I agree that you
should hide it on a random port, but it'd be better not to do it at all.

I agree - I never said that it should be "open", I listen on it, on one of my systems, but you have to authenticate using esmto AUTH to relay mail using it.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill
Nick Simicich - njs @