Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:22:01 -0500
To: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Michael Berch wrote,

| Now if only the popular (non-open-source) mail clients would let you
| specify the outgoing SMTP destination port...

Outlook Express has a selection for it; Netscape Messenger and Pocomail can
be told to use a different port by appending the number (with a colon) to
the name of the SMTP server.

My understanding about Eudora is that you have to change the port number in
a configuration file, and it will apply to all the SMTP servers you use, so
Eudora makes it impossible to send through port 25 of one server but port
587 of another, for example.  It's been over a year since I read that, so
maybe a more recent release of Eudora has improved that.