Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2001)

Subject: Re: Automated bounce recognition
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:46:42 -0700
To: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 09:22 AM 10/26/2001 -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

>My understanding about Eudora is that you have to change the port number in
>a configuration file, and it will apply to all the SMTP servers you use, so
>Eudora makes it impossible to send through port 25 of one server but port
>587 of another, for example.  It's been over a year since I read that, so
>maybe a more recent release of Eudora has improved that.

Most of the Eudora setting changes can be made in either of 2 places in the eudora.ini file, you can make the change in the [settings] section, or under a particular personality's section.

If you put POPPort=111 in [settings], all POP connections will be via port 110. If you put POPPort=111 in your [personal] personality, and PoOPPort=112 in your [work] personality section, then each personality (email account) will check via the indicated port.

I use this to tunnel my POP connections from my laptop to my office SSH server, and then spit the POP connection out the back side of my office's SSH server (where there's much less chance of someone intercepting my unencrypted POP password) to my ISP's POP server. The connection goes into SSH on port 111 or 112, and goes out the ssh server at the other end on 110 to the appropriate POP server by using SecureCRT's port forwarding on the SSH session.

I have not tried to setup SMTP on a different port, but I believe it works exactly the same way, that you can put SMTPPort=587 in the [settings] section and it will apply to all SMTP connections, or you can put it in a personality's section, and it will apply to just that personality.

Note: Eudora's .ini file is case insensitive regarding the settings, so popport and PopPort and POPPort all work the same.

jc