Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: I know this is off-topic, but...
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 02:10:22 -0800
To: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 12:38 AM 12/2/2001 -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>Cyndi Norman:
>>So what's off topic?  Virus warnings,
>
>you know what? As bad as it's gotten "out there", I finally gave up on this.
>Sometimes, you need to spread the word.

I disagree. As bad as it's gotten "out there", sending virus warnings just makes it WORSE. People fall into a trap of "since I haven't seen any virus warnings lately, it's safe to open all attachments" and each successive virus outbreak IS worse because of it.

I slam people who post virus warnings, and remind all readers that if you rely on virus warnings to tell you if any given attachment is safe or not you WILL end up with a virus, sooner or later, and the only safe way to avoid viruses is to learn how to identify a suspect email and stay alert, and not let your software open (or preview) email attachments for you.

As a result, people on my (non-technical) lists (the people on the technical lists are already not likely :-) are far less likely to get or send viruses.

jc