Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: I know this is off-topic, but...
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ vjs . org>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 22:13:00 -1000
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

** Sometime around 00:38 -0800 12/02/01, Chuq Von Rospach sent everyone:
Vince Sabio:

 >FWIW, it is not uncommon for us to receive off-list messages of
 >thanks whenever we kill an off-topic thread. It seems that the folks
 >who enjoy -- or even tolerate -- such threads are well in the
 >minority, though of course it varies

I'm not sure that's a safe assumption. Unhappy people give feedback. Happy
people don't. fact of life. So you'll hear from folks who appreciate you
doing away with something they don't like. You'll rarely hear from folks who
say "I want off-topic stuff".

I disagree, Chuq -- if people don't like the fact that an off-topic thread was killed, well, then they are, by your definition, "unhappy" and thus would be disposed to contact us. Correct? Probably ... we *do* often receive complaints on terminated threads -- though typically from those who were participating in the subject threads, themselves.

Vince Sabio                                                  vince @
vjs .
org