Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: List-ID
From: Norbert Bollow <nb @ thinkcoach . com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:01:57 +0100
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Russ Allbery <rra @
 stanford .
 edu> wrote:

> Tom Neff <tneff @
 panix .
 com> writes:

> > There is no big problem, that's for sure.  I merely note
> > parenthetically, in passing so to speak, that List-ID prevents nothing,
> > solves nothing, assures nothing, and simplifies nothing,
>
> It's a nice thing to put into procmail rules rather than trying to figure
> out what combination of Sender, X-Loop, Mailing-List, Resent-From, To, or
> envelope sender seems unlikely to change at the whim of the list-admin and
> the software they use.

I agree with Russ.  In addition I note that even if a list is
moved to a different mailing list software on a different
server, it'll typically be possible to keep the List-ID header
unchanged even if everything else changes.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com