Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: forwarding and domain hosting (was Re: bogus list ID and forwarding shutdowns.)
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:20:14 -0800
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Cc: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 06:47 AM 12/3/01, David W. Tamkin wrote:
>That's not a guaranteed permanent address either.  The forwarding site can
>go out of business or institute policies that make you want to dissociate

True, which is why I registered my own domain. Now I have a
permanent address that survives BOTH connectivity ISP and
hosting ISP changes. The deal I have now allows me to set up
as many aliases as I want, and to administer them without
contacting my host... in addition to running a couple dozen
email lists and a 200MB website.

I have a relative with simpler needs than mine, looking for
a good place to host 20MB of web pages and half a dozen
email forwarding addresses for a domain he just registered.
Any suggestions? Cheap is good. He'd use the webspace with
his mindspring account, except he doesn't want people to
bookmark pages outside his registered domain.

SRE

mailto:eckert @
 climber .
 org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info @
 climber .
 org

"The ultimate measure of a man is
 not where he stands in moments of comfort
 but where he stands at times of challenge and discovery."
  --Martin Luther King Jr.