Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: bogus list ID and forwarding shutdowns.
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:37:02 -0800
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>, "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 12/3/01 6:47 AM, "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @
 ripco .
 com> wrote:

> Of course, the idea is not to give a pass to every message with a List-ID:
> header, only to those with the IDs of lists to which the recipient belongs.

Depends on what you're trying to do. I'm not spamblocking, merely using
procmail to filter mailing lists into a separate IMAP folder on the server
side, so there's no need (or interest) in writing one rule for each list
here.

> SRE wrote about losing one's ISP address,
>
> | This is a
> | good time to convince people they should be receiving email
> | through a forwarding alias that doesn't die when they switch
> | service providers!
>
> That's not a guaranteed permanent address either.  The forwarding site can
> go out of business or institute policies that make you want to dissociate
> from them.

Like usa.net? Like iname? Like mail.com? Like...

Right now, I'm seeing a huge migration off of hotmail. Of 60,000
unsubscribes on one of my lists last month (well above average), 10,000 were
hotmail (way out of proportion to it's percentage size of subscriber base).
Remember that recently hotmail 'fixed security' by severely limiting (read
cutting access to) many email clients that used to be able to talk directly
to it, forcing people to use the web interface (or microsoft mail clients.
Ahem). End result: lots of folks are running for the hills away from
hotmail. I'm going to be going back and checking my other logs to make sure
it's prevalent on my other sites, too, just to be sure, but I already know
the answer.

And if you think about it -- hotmail is a big service. A big, free service.
Free services cost money. So if you want to cut costs, how about, oh, a
"security update" that limits access so that people leave in disgust and go
elsewhere?

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop over at yahoo.com, too. You have to believe
it's coming. You have to believe the "free" email account is going to be
gone, or in very limited supply down the road, or more likely you'll see
services move to a two-tier setup -- very limited features for the free
account to get you in, and a paid upgrade to more capabilities.

(the hotmail thing caught me completely by surprise. I really have to write
some reports that warn me about there things. I found it while going off to
see what the home.com implosion was going to do to us, and I'm still getting
my hands around the implications of the hotmail implosion...)