Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: forwarding and domain hosting
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:20:21 -0600
To: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

When I said about forwarding services,

> That's not a guaranteed permanent address either.  The forwarding site can
> go out of business or institute policies that make you want to dissociate

SRE rejoined,

| True, which is why I registered my own domain. Now I have a
| permanent address that survives BOTH connectivity ISP and
| hosting ISP changes.

Ah, but then you have to pay for registration and for hosting, and if your
host goes down or out of business you're out of luck (and your mail will
bounce) until you have arrangements with a new host and the DNS servers get
the word.  And let's not even get into what happens if your registrar messes
up the records or claims not to have received your payment.  For a person
without a web site (or with one that doesn't need an identifiable business
name), using a free or inexpensive forwarding service incurs less cost and
headache than having one's own domain.