Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: bogus list ID and forwarding shutdowns.
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:12:35 -0600
To: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

When I wrote,

: Of course, the idea is not to give a pass to every message with a List-ID:
: header, only to those with the IDs of lists to which the recipient
: belongs.

Chuq responded,

| Depends on what you're trying to do. I'm not spamblocking, merely using
| procmail to filter mailing lists into a separate IMAP folder on the server
| side, so there's no need (or interest) in writing one rule for each list
| here.

Either way, you still want to use the folders only for messages whose
List-IDs are those of lists you've joined.  How you treat other List-ID:
values is a separate issue.  If you have just joined a list you don't know
what its List-ID is until you receive a post or a digest from it, so clearly
autodeleting all mail with unrecognized List-IDs or sending back a "you
filthy spammer" autoresponse would not be the best ideas.  (I trust that
everyone on this list knows better than to send "you filthy spammer"
autoresponses, given the unreliability of return, reply, and origin
addresses on spam and the risk of false positives in any software's attempts
to identify spam.)  Messages with malformed List-IDs, though, might be
another story, or since List-IDs are not supposed to change, when you don't
have any new subscriptions pending you might safely trash mail with an
unrecognized List-ID.

|  I'm waiting for the shoe to drop over at yahoo.com, too.  ...
|  ...  You have to believe the "free" email account is going to be
|  gone, or in very limited supply down the road, or more likely you'll see
|  services move to a two-tier setup -- very limited features for the free
|  account to get you in, and a paid upgrade to more capabilities.

Yahoo has long offered a paid service with extra email storage space and
other benefits (which I don't remember).  Also, to get your incoming mail
forwarded elsewhere or to get POP3 and SMTP access, you need to accept some
advertising in your email (the Yahoo! Delivers dispatches, which come once
or twice a month), which is itself a form of payment.