Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: forwarding and domain hosting
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 14:00:21 -0800
To: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 01:20 PM 12/3/2001 -0600, David W. Tamkin wrote:

>Ah, but then you have to pay for registration and for hosting, and if your
>host goes down or out of business you're out of luck (and your mail will
>bounce)

It will?

I use a 3rd party DNS provider, and have a backup MX that's on a different network from the primary MX that is provided along with my domain name web hosting. So, unless my 3rd party DNS provider goes belly up (not likely), I'm safe from any single failure taking down my email.

>And let's not even get into what happens if your registrar messes
>up the records or claims not to have received your payment.

If you use Net$ol, you deserve what you get.

> For a person
>without a web site (or with one that doesn't need an identifiable business
>name), using a free or inexpensive forwarding service incurs less cost and
>headache than having one's own domain.

And provides a less professional appearance, and incurs more risk.

To each his/her own.

jc