Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: forwarding and domain hosting
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:17:40 -0600
To: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

[resending; first one seems to have vanished]

Chuq wrote,

| C'mon, David, you sound like one of those "guarantee me nothing will ever
| happen" whiners, and I KNOW that's not you.

Sorry if I came off that way, Chuq.  There are loud flag-wavers here for
getting one's own domain as, even if imperfect, still indisputably superior
in every way to any alternative.  My point is not that having one's own
domain leaves some problems incompletely solved and ergo one should throw
out the baby with the bathwater; rather it is that there actually are some
aspects in which -- and some people for whom -- a forwarding service has the
advantage over a personal domain, that it's not always the cut-and-dried
no-brainer decision that certain parties found it to be for them and thus
assume that it is for all humanity.  I readily agree, as I'll elaborate in
my response to JC Dill, that someone who has a separate business purpose for
licensing a domain name is already putting up with those problems anyway and
might as well use that domain for a permanent personal email address as
well; but if there is neither a business purpose nor a pressing vanity need
to have one's own domain the scale just might tilt in favor of a forwarding
service or a big publicly accessible provider.  It does for me; it does for
quite a few others I know.

You said of having one's own domain,

| It's all about knowing what you're getting into and managing your risks.

The same applies to making the decision in the first place.