Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: Why did List-Managers silently change software, number and
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:01:50 -0800
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On 10:35 AM 12/18/2001 -0500, Tom Neff wrote:

>If I did this, my members would be up in arms.  I'm all ears for the
>explanation here.

I'm on Brent Chapman's party email list, and I received the following email a month ago:

>From: Brent Chapman <Brent @
GreatCircle .

>Subject: REMINDER: Off-to-Oz Party at Brent's this Friday, 6pm til whenever
>Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:18:43 -0800 (PST)
>
>This is just a quick reminder about the Off-to-Oz party that I'm
>throwing this Friday, 16 November, from 6pm until whenever; details
>below.  RSVPs would be appreciated, but are not required.  If you replied
>previously, there's no need to reply again (unless your plans have
>changed).
>
>Hope to see you Friday night!
>

>-Brent
>
>--------
>
>If you haven't already heard, I'm moving to Australia at the end
>of the year, for at least 18 months or so, to work on an MBA at
>the Melbourne Business School.  So this is my last chance to throw
>one more big blowout party before I go!  The party will start at
>6pm on Friday 16 November, and go until whenever...  Stop by after
>work, or come by later...  I'd love to see you before I go.

So... it appears that the answer may be related to Brent recently leaving the US and perhaps hand's on management of the GreatCircle servers. If something suddenly came up in his absence, the person who fixed it might have just dropped in a quick fix to get it working again (for certain values of work) as a favor, and not had the time (or the detailed information needed) to send off notices to all the hosted lists that were affected.

If you don't like the list host's methods and policies, you are always welcome to setup your own list and offer s*bscribers the option of s*bscribing to your list, with your methods and policies.

jc