Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: "purging" or ____? (was Re: Is there a FAQ?)
From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:14:06 -0500 (EST)
To: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey @ goldmark . org>

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
		(snip)
> Just to let all know what you mean by "purging" (in case
> someone was going to recommend salt and vinegar or a
> finger down the throat), your concern is about keeping
> addresses on a (manually mantained) list current.

> A typical practice is to periodically send mail to each
> list member individually and specifying their subscribed
> address explicitly, so that if it bounces you know which
> address bounced.  (snip)

	OK, I'm very familiar with the subscriber's end
of that; but then "purging" is not the word I want. I'm
concerned not with electronic accuracy -- I'm too small-fry
to do more than cope ad hoc with that -- but with ongoing
choice to opt in.

	I'm a bit of a fanatic about spam. I not only keep
my lists invitation-only. I also send out a message more or
less annually, requiring subscribers each to tell me they
still want to keep their subscriptions; the default is to be
dropped from the list, as I explain each time. What is the
word for that? "Unpurging"?

	Fwiw, now that I know there's no FAQ, here's the
actual question: How do I spare the real hard-core
subscribers having to bother with avoiding the 'unpurge' or
whatever it is every time?

	Specifics: the list in question is basically a
jokeswap list, with a couple of refinements. First, most
people (about twenty) get everything; but half a dozen get
only what I consider the cream of the cream. (The whole list
handles maybe 1 or 2 dozen items per day.) Second, both I
and several of my subscribers are also on a private list
that discusses hunting -- and occasionally tells a joke, or
makes one; I send some of those to such of my subscribers as
are not on the hunting list.

	So I already have what amounts to four sub-lists :
jkgp gets all jokes, jkgp+ (which consists of jkgp and the
additionals) gets all and only cream, jkwo gets all
non-hunting-list jokes, and jkwo+ (parallel to jkgp+) gets
all and only non-hunting-list cream. (If I complicate this
much more, it's going to get more like work than fun! But at
this point it's still easy to run.)

	Now, several of my subscribers have been with me for
years; they have shown over and over that they don't want to
be 'unpurged' -- or whatever it's called. I could split jkgp
and jkwo into sublists of 'wood' and 'bark' or some such,
and unpurge just the barks, offering new people the option
after two or three years not to get unpurges any more.

	(I do all this on pine, btw; no list management
software.) Is there a better way that doesn't have the
learning curve it would cost me to go to real list software?

--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger
karhunhammas (at) lserv.com