Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: "purging" or ____? (was Re: Is there a FAQ?)
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey @ goldmark . org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:12:06 -0800 (PST)
To: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Beartooth wrote:

> I'm concerned [...] with ongoing choice to opt in.
>
> 	I'm a bit of a fanatic about spam. I not only keep
> my lists invitation-only. I also send out a message more or
> less annually, requiring subscribers each to tell me they
> still want to keep their subscriptions; the default is to be
> dropped from the list, as I explain each time.

Many of us are pretty fanatically anti-spam, but I've never seen this
practice before.

> What is the word for that? "Unpurging"?

Never heard of it, so we can make something up.  How about

PERC:  Periodic Explicit Re-Confirmation

> How do I spare the real hard-core
> subscribers having to bother with avoiding the 'unpurge' or
> whatever it is every time?

 [...]

> 	I already have what amounts to four sub-lists :
> jkgp gets all jokes, jkgp+ (which consists of jkgp and the
> additionals) gets all and only cream, jkwo gets all
> non-hunting-list jokes, and jkwo+ (parallel to jkgp+) gets
> all and only non-hunting-list cream.

I'm not sure I follow that, but I don't think that I need to.

> 	(I do all this on pine, btw; no list management
> software.)

So you have the lists maintained in pine's address book.  Let's work
though the case of one list.  I'll call it my-list.  Now split that
into two lists, my-list-core, my-list-PERC.  Then list in my-list those
two lists.

Periodically send out mail (manually) to my-list-PERC saying that they
need to declare their intention to stay on the list.

That is, do what you do know, but split the list as you say.  Of course
this would be easier with list management software, for which you could
create simple scripts to do this.  But if you've been happy without using
a MLM system so far, this particular thing is not reason to switch.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has considered doing something like
periodic explicit re-confirmation.   Periodic notification of status, etc
is a common practice,  but I've never seen anything like this.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/