Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: "purging" or ____? (was Re: Is there a FAQ?)
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:00:51 -0500
To: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 18 Dec 2001, at 17:14, Beartooth wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>
> > I'm curious --- what problem is it intended to solve?
> > (snip)
>
> 	Two, probably related in some way. The jokes are
> utterly uncensored, and I seldom bother even to warn about
> really gross ones; and I sometimes get into arguments with
> people who don't take spam seriously.

I don't understand, still.  You keep the "yes I want to subscribe"
confirmation messages, and how can you get into arguments?  They
complain, you forward them back a copy of their request-to-join...  No
argument, no fuss, no muss.

What am I missing?   It still seems like not-really-useful bother and
hassle on both sides.  Yes it can be automated, and yes you can figure
out tricks to 'exempt' folk so that some don't get bothered, but I'm
still not seeing why, unless you're paying for the list [and so a few
'unwanted' addresses are going to cost you money] it is worth the hassle.

Again, my simple analysis: if the list has moderate traffic, then anyone
who wants off would have complained/asked already.  If the list is very-
low traffic, what difference does it make?

Oh well, I guess we all have different goals, intentions and metrics on
these sorts of things...  I'd figure that unless the address were hurting
the list somehow [bounces, misguided vacation, etc]... AND they don't
care enough to send a "take me off the list" request... why should I
care?  [NB: I'm not being contentious here, and you can already guess
that I'm not likely to consider doing this on my lists... but I'm curious
about the reasoning behind it.  Someone [beartooth at the beginning of
the thread?] mentioned "spam", that great bugaboo-scare-word, but I don't
see how this relates to spam in any way...  If they opted in, it ain't
spam because they asked for it; if they change their mind they can just
say so, and it STILL isn't spam. don't we have enough to do without
looking for ways to do EXTRA wheel spinning?]

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com     Pearisburg, VA