Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: More List-Managers silentl changes
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:51:57 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I note that today, without further explanation or announcement, the Digest numbering for List-Managers has been restored, and at least my own personal copy of the Digest is back in text format - I don't know whether this was done for my exclusive benefit as a "squeaky wheel" or across-the-board.

The reason I am guessing about all these things is that the management of THIS list has said nothing, before, during or after. It is ironic that a forum set up so that working list managers could support each other and do their jobs better, should itself set such a shoddy example to its members. I think the operator of this list might want to JOIN it and introduce her/himself!

By the way, do you love the "list manager universe in microcosm" aspect of this? No sooner did I mention the tinkering than someone pipes up with "If you don't like the list host's methods and policies, you are always welcome to setup your own list..."! hehehe... (What's next, "if you don't like reading, you can always hit DELETE"?)

The lesson for working managers is: Always notify your membership as far in advance as reasonably possible of any upcoming hardware or software changes that they're likely to notice. If you're transitioning from one software package to another, make sure you know how to preserve as many settings as possible, and ask here or on your old & new software's support forums if you're not sure. Make sure there is a contact person announced for members who have trouble after the switch, and make sure that members know how to change their own settings afterward. Don't assume "you're the exception" and that what's wise for "ordinary lists" somehow doesn't apply to yours: it probably does.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Yahoo! message