Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2001)

Subject: Re: More changes
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:21:07 -0800
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 02:33 PM 12/19/01, Tom Neff wrote:
>Related: I am somewhat curious to know why MJ2 does nothing to identify itself

You should ask on mj2-dev @
 csf .
 colorado .
 edu, where the developers are.

>Are they trying to masquerade as individual mail to get past spam blocks?

Dubious.

>Is this configurable?

You can put in anything you want with "configset listname message_headers".
(There is a matching "delete_headers" that removes stuff you don't like.)

I have a few dozen lists running under Mj2, and for the most part
it's great. It's not designed by consensus, so unless you get one
of the two authors to write it for you, changes you suggest or
actually implement will probably be ignored or removed from CVS.
(I'm not whining about it - just warning you from experience.)

It's not clear if it will ever be "released" or if it will stay in
permanent beta. Changes have recently been made that obsolete some
config settings and it's not clear that continuing compatibility
with existing installations is a design goal. The biggest reason
it hasn't yet been released is the two authors don't see any
benefit in tying themselves down to a specific implementation.

Still, there are things that make it well worth using... like per
user moderation (post blocking) and the ability to customize any
server message without hacking the code. The pace of development
is pretty fast right now, I plan to upgrade after they finish
some work on making upgrades easier/safer.

SRE

mailto:eckert @
 climber .
 org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info @
 climber .
 org

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
 I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."
     -- Mother Teresa