Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2002)

Subject: Re: Interesting study on spam to web-posted addresses
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:27:58 -0500 (EST)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

> Basically, DSLreports did a test, and found that e-mail addresses posted on
> a web site could start seeing spam in as little as 8 hours.

I hope nobody finds that very surprising.

> I mention it for two reasons. One, since mail lists manage e-mail addresses
> (and archives of e-mail addresses), it is yet antother indication  of just
> why we have to be careful about presenting and disclosing that stuff.

I think the main point is to make it difficult to spider an archive.  I
have archives here of about 300,000 list messages, but the only way to see
the messages is to use the search form, so I haven't had much trouble with
hostile spiders extracting addresses.

The posted addresses all point at majordomo2, which doesn't have much
trouble disposing of spam sent to its admin addresses.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Write for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47