Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2002)

Subject: Re: Interesting study on spam to web-posted addresses
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:25:30 -0500
To: "list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM" <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 10:19 PM -0500 2/17/02, Chuq Von Rospach is rumored to have typed:

> we really need to come up with ways that allow newbies to contact an
> admin without easily disclosing addresses to spammers. And, unfortunately,
> the security problems with formmail.pl have shown THAT isn't really the
> answer...

   Well, sure, but it's pretty trivial to write your own
shell/perl/php/whatever script with the admin address hard-coded and
completely hidden from the submitter. After all, this is a pretty
straightforward requirement...I haven't used a "canned" script for email in a
whole lot of years. Even my ICQ page form is a simple PHP scriptset that
pages me _without_ giving the sender any clue of my ICQ number. (And trust
me...if _I_ can write it, anyone can.)

         Charlie (who doesn't make archives available on the web; they are
                   mailing lists, so archives are available by mail only)