From: Roger Burton West <roger @ firedrake . org>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 22:27:35 +0100
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:00:16PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>It's rather ridiculous.  It makes me think some serious shaking out needs
>to happen in the ISP industry, and I'm really wondering if the future of
>Internet connectivity isn't paying one company to just provide you with a
>pipe and paying a different company that actually knows something about
>mail to provide you with mail services.

I suspect that this is exactly why so many people are now using hotmail
and allied trades. I've certainly seen the general quality of
mail-servers (in terms of how long mail I send them has to wait on the
queue and how often it bounces) go down sharply even in the last couple
of years; and while hotmail's a major offender, most of the other
problem domains are ISPs' own mail services.

I do a better job keeping mail and news flowing for the 40 or so users
on my private server than any ISP I've encountered (and I've worked for
a few). What I'd like to see is more small servers of that sort, run by
people who actually care about providing a good-quality service, rather
than huge servers run by people who don't care as long as the fees keep
coming in...

But this is getting off-topic. In list-manager terms, I haven't had a
problem with spam-blocks; I check my server IPs regularly against all
the blacklists I know about, and I haven't yet got into any of them. So
when I've had problems with mail delivery, it's been the user who
complains to me about how long mail is taking to arrive. One lesson in
reading Received: headers later, the user ends up with a new email
address...

Roger