From: "Mike Avery" <mavery @ mail . otherwhen . com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:00:06 -0600
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On 17 May 2002 at 4:38, Sharon Tucci wrote:

> Here are a few of my current pet peeves:

<snip>

> 2. Content blocking by ISPs is really getting out of hand.

> We've seen some ISPs even block on the word "un$ubscribe" being
> included in emails.

That seems to be a standard test in Spam Assassin.
It's a rather clueless test, since any legitimate mailing
list will give instructions on how to do that.  However,
my understanding is the system manager can tailor
which tests are run and which are not, so the ISP
doesn't have to discard all mail with that word in it.

Moreover, you don't have to block the email.  You can
send it to the intended recipient with text added to the
subject line.  Something like, "*** SPAM SUSPECT ***,
which allows the recipient to deal with it.

In researching Spam Assassin, I found many mass
mailers are very upset about it.  Many users are
delighted.  Evidently it cuts more than 99% of the
spam.  Some people don't mind missing some legitimate
emails as well.

Mike
--
Mike Avery
MAvery @

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
COBOL: Completely Obnoxious Because Of Length