From: Tom Neff <tneff @ panix . com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:12:38 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

--On Friday, May 17, 2002 10:00 AM -0600 Mike Avery <mavery @
mail .
otherwhen .
com> wrote:
On 17 May 2002 at 4:38, Sharon Tucci wrote:
We've seen some ISPs even block on the word "un$ubscribe" being
included in emails.

That seems to be a standard test in Spam Assassin.
It's a rather clueless test, since any legitimate mailing
list will give instructions on how to do that.  However,
my understanding is the system manager can tailor
which tests are run and which are not, so the ISP
doesn't have to discard all mail with that word in it.

The system manager (and also individual users) can tailor the SCORE that each test contributes. Tests like the one mentioned above are not conclusive, but they add to the overall score and the results are pretty reliable. This is different from just plain blocking mail on one word.

SpamAssassin is most wickedly effective in conjunction with Vipul's Razor, a dynamic network of known spam sites. If a piece makes it through, reporting it to Razor can spare thousands of fellow Netizens the pain...