From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 17 May 2002 20:03:50 -0400
To: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

> I wonder how many folk really DO have that attitude [that is, not caring
> if some percentage of their incoming email is just trashed and vanishes].

It's a cultural thing.  In the U.S. some people get very prickly about
free speech and hate the thought of losing any mail they want.  Other
places they're willing to put up with quite a lot of collateral damage to
keep the spam away, particularly if they haven't been online long enough
to feel that email is as essential to their work as many of us do.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",