From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:27:06 -0400
To: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

--On Saturday, May 18, 2002 11:30 AM -0400 John R Levine <johnl @
iecc .
com> wrote:
While we have to argue about filters in the short run, the only thing
that's going to make a difference in the long run is to stop the spam.
Technical means have clearly failed, maybe laws will work.  See
http://www.cauce.org.

Laws will fail even more clearly than technical means, unless someone thinks that we are ready to wage thermonuclear war over MAK3 M0NEY FA5T. Most of the spam we receive today comes from countries that are neither subject to US/Canadian/UK law, nor remotely interested in pretending to be. How do we propose to protect our domestic mailspaces from those foreign floods? Technical means, that's how.

The paradox, it seems to me, is that while technical means are always failing, they are also always improving. I can do a much better job of blocking spam today than I could two years ago. There is more of it to block, but probably less gets through.