From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 18 May 2002 13:36:36 -0400
To: "tneff @ grassyhill . org" <tneff @ grassyhill . org>
Cc: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

> Laws will fail even more clearly than technical means, unless someone
> thinks that we are ready to wage thermonuclear war over MAK3 M0NEY FA5T.
> Most of the spam we receive today comes from countries that are neither
> subject to US/Canadian/UK law, nor remotely interested in pretending to be.

Ah, yes, this old wheeze.

Most of the spam still promotes stuff sold in the US.  Laws follow the
spammer, regardless of what offshore servers they bounce it off, and US
spammers are subject to US law, or at least would be if there were some.
The model is the junk fax law, which has keep junk faxes down to a trickle
compared to what they were in 1990.

Yes, there's a certain amount of spam coming from China and Korea, but
it's far less than the US stuff and a lot easier to block without
noticable collateral damage.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",