Subject: Re: e-postage again
From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 19 May 2002 18:15:45 -0400
To: "tneff @ grassyhill . org" <tneff @ grassyhill . org>
Cc: "List Managers" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

> That is to say, it costs you nothing to get an e-stamp - but you still have
> to get one.  There's no money to move around, but there is a transaction
> you have to make.

You may be about to invent hashcash, which has its own problems.

You have to ration the stamps somehow, otherwise they're meaningless.  If
they're rationed, there's an incentive to steal them, leading to the same
problems you have with real money.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",