Subject: Re: e-postage again
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 16:54:54 -0700
To: tneff @ grassyhill . org
Cc: List Managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Sun, 19 May 2002 17:57:43 -0400
Tom Neff <tneff @
 grassyhill .
 net> wrote:

> Wait one moment though, I haven't thought about this problem in a
> while.  Most of the objections to e-postage have to do with money.
> What if e-postage was free?

Money is just one problem.  Utter unwillingness to use, let alone
participate or in any way support let alone condone the users of any
such scheme is a more fundamental consideration.

> That is to say, it costs you nothing to get an e-stamp - but you still
> have to get one.  There's no money to move around, but there is a
> transaction you have to make.

Legislatively there are a number of interesting atoms:

  a) Physical location of recipient
  b) Nationality of recipient
  c) Physical location of MXes for recipient address
  d) Physical location of the ISP's POP the recipient uses
  e) Physical location of author
  f) Nationality of the system the author uses.
  g) Nationality of author
  h) Physical location of author's ISP
  i) Physical location of ISP's POP that the author uses
  j) Nationality of the owner of the author's system
  k) Physical location of the list owner
  l) Nationality of the list owner
  m) Physical location of the system the list owner uses to administer
     the list.
  n) Physical location of the ISP's POP that the list owner uses
  o) Physical location of the system that hosts the list
  p) Physical location of the MXes for the list
  q) Nationality of the list owner
  r) Nationality of the owner of the system hosting the list.
  s) etc...

Which is slightly outside the fact that I'd take delight in configuring
MTAs to bounce every message which attempted to use such a scheme.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @