Subject: Re: e-postage again
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 22:47:49 -0400
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

--On Sunday, May 19, 2002 10:19 PM -0400 John R Levine <johnl @
iecc .
com> wrote:
Call me crotchety, but I'm getting kind of tired of people positing vast
technical edifices and then waving away the reality that they're
unbuildable, and even if built would be uninhabitable...

In this case I will call John crotchety, because he is being uncollegial and unconstructive. There is, or ought to be, a difference between healthy skepticism and a closed mind; or between good-humored, informed rebuttal and snide, reflexive swatting away. A forum like this one brings together some of the better minds on the Net, and it actually is possible that useful ideas could be germinated here. I wish that John would encourage such a possibility instead of trying to shout it down.