Subject: Re: Charge?
From: "John R Levine" <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 19 May 2002 22:53:43 -0400
To: "Amy Stinson" <e-list @ amys-answers . com>
Cc: "List Managers" <list-managers @ GreatCircle . com>

> Back in the days before the internet became so accessible to us common folk,
> companies like Prodigy and Compuserve gave people an email allowance.  Any
> email after that was charged to the account.  Is that totally impractical
> with today's technology?

Not at all.  If you want service like that, you can probably still find it
somewhere, although it's not likely to connect very well to the Internet,
since that's not the way that Internet mail works.

But I'd think that the reality that everyone fled from pay-per-send closed
mail systems to the flat rate internetworked system we have now says
something about what's useful about e-mail and how interested people would
be in an e-postage system.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
"Just how much hay did we buy?" asked Tom, balefully.

PS:

> Yahoo is nothing but a pain in the butt yet everyone treats it like it's
> some sort of sacred cow.

So block them.  The reason that people don't is that there are a lot of
real users mixed in with the spammers, although the spam-to-real ratio has
been increasing to the point that I expect people will start giving up on
them and telling their users to go get their free mail someplace that's
better run.